Samest meeting 28.4.2017
Participants: Fran, Heli, Heiki, Jaak, Sjur, Sulev, Trond
- Võro FST and Oahpa
- Estonian FST
- Finnish-Estonian MT
- Estonian-Finnish MT
Võro FST and Oahpa
FST and Oahpa
- temporary solution: Err/Orth for the same forms as Use/NG
- Võro Oahpa is working now with very few mistakes
- Oahpa-wise, the FST quality is good.
- Lexical coverage is low (cf. possible use for spelling, Korp)
- Problem with using synthetic voice in Oahpa: works properly only
- alphabet: t a l o s a +N +Sg
- analysis input: talossa -- output: talo+N+Sg+Ine
- generation input: talo +N +Sg + I n e -- output: ?talossa
Anssi Yli-Jyrä, Ken Beesley, Lauri Karttunen
Paper about Võro Oahpa in the Publications of Võro Institute (Heli/Sulev)?
Heiki tried to use flag diacritics in regular expressions used as filters, and found that:
The punctuation.lexc file included multichar symbols that were not declared
There was also a bug regarding difference between xfst and hfst (xfst lookup bug)? No, this is perhaps because of my own errors in punctuation.lexc.
Nothing for now, but:
- fst + applic (focus on implementation / linguistics / impact (socioling))
- estonian shedding light over fst
- fst shedding light over estonian
kaataa -> kaasi/kaatoi -> kaatoi (as of yesterday)
The est-fin dictionary made by eki and kotus will be available on the net.
Margit would like to connect dictionary and RBMT. The RBMT may be used as a
Heiki hopes that we will get the lexicon to be included in apertium-fin-est also.
The weakest point is
- all the technical issues with tags
- thereafter we will get to lingustics
The student Käbi Suvi working on it will try to finish this spring
sme-fin // fin-est ==> sme-est
Fran: Do not use crossdict.
- There is a 20-line python script that does intersection.
- There is the unix join
Tiina Puolakainen. Semi-automatic Enhancement of Bidictionary from Aligned Sentences.
- Uibo, Heli: Võru Oahpa (NoDaLiDa)
- Johnson et al: sme-fin MT (NoDaLiDa)
Officially, the project time will run out in 2 days...
Thoughts for the future
- context-sensitive spellchecker
- disambiguate POS/grammar category based on context, and do suggestions based upon that
Should we go beta? http: //divvun.org/proofing/proofing.html
There, the feedback address given is su
- Here we have a web version of a cg-based grammar checker for sme
- ... and an implication in LibreOffice is forthcoming
Is there some version of spellers built on current fsts available somewhere to be downloaded?
- The download page is:
the feedback address is email@example.com, and the address may be split into
The speller easteregg is: nuvviDspeller
(no estonian versions seem to be there. i can probably find someone on irc to ask for those: )
There are two estonians:
- et.zhfst usual version
- et-x-exp.zhfst experimental version
Priorities for the future
- what is fun
- what is needed
- what can be funded
- what can result in publications
Conference and article deadlines
A sample from the calendar:
- 21 May: FSMNLP 2017 (Sweden)
- 7 Jul: IJCNLP (Taiwan)
- 25 Sep: LREC 2018 (Japan)
- ? ?: BalticHLT 2018 (?)
- fin-est: aim at better gisting than Google (real estate good, sports bad)
- est-fin: aim at better gisting than Google
- sme-fin: How good gisting
output link to orig rbmt - + smt - - nmt + -
Other regional/non-NLP conferences possible.
- Improve all components (fst > mt/oahpa > speller)
- Write the presentation
- Having (est, fin, sme) and making (vro) a linguistic core
- Putting it into use
- MT: gisting, production
- Oahpa: ...
- Spelling: basic, context-driven, grammar checking
- MT: gisting, production
- Feedback to basic linguistic research (mostly for vro)
- Estonian Language Technology program: sometime in the autumn
There is a attempt of Est-Vro MT here: voroaader (Ants Aader) but I would not trust him much - he has dealed with it for years but with no good system and results.
(This is the guy that Jack is in contact with)
synaq.org - est-vro-est bilingual dictionary
(What is the licence?)
Is it under a free software/open-source/creative commons licence that allows commercial use ?
Not licenceced under that. You must ask permission of Võro Insitute.
Then it cannot be used in the MT system right now (but perhaps someone can contact the Voro Institute to ask for permission)
Of course - I am working there and I am the main composer of the dict : )
Great! : )
Sulev: I am iterested to continue with Võro Oahpa/FST work and Skype meetings
Narratives for funding
People who make useful things people with a track record will have higher chanses
- Link our ICALL to educational priorities in Estonia
- Link our Võro work to language preservation and revitalisation
Estonian: Make ourself useful for Eki (e.g. the MT aspect for the forthcoming dictionary). EKI with Võro Institute are dealing with Võro speech synthesiser. They/we need our Võro FST for that.
- At Nodalida 22-24 May in Gothenburg (Heiki, Heli, Trond, Jaak?, Jack?) (first evening?)
- Skype: June, August
- Next Võro Oahpa/FST meeting - could be in May!